How do I get the water bill taken out of my name or put into my name?

If you have purchased or sold the home, please contact our office either by phone or e-mail and we will be happy to process your request. We need to receive a phone call from both the buyer and seller of the property to complete the transfer. You must be able to provide the date of possession or closing date when you call. We do not put water bills into the name of a renter. Please call if further information is needed regarding rental situations.